Tick Tick Ding

Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Reading Deprivation

This is a challenge that I wasn't prepared for nor is it one that I'm enjoying at all. What's the challenge? Reading deprivation. I've already announced that I'm participating in the Artist's Way 12 week program to unblock my creative genius hiding deep within me. I happen to be on week 4 right now and one of the exercises it suggests is to stop all reading for 1 full week.

I immediately knew I had to do it. The moment I saw the bold type at the top of the page with those two words jammed together to make such an ugly statement, I thought to myself, "I hope those words don't mean what I think they're going to mean". Much to my disappointment, they did. A strong reaction one way or another is typically a sign that I can definitely benefit from such an exercise. The challenge is to go a full week without reading anything. Emails, books, newspapers, web pages, BLOGS. I'm suppose to cease all reading.

The purpose of the challenge is to remove the distraction from coming face to face with our deepest darkest thoughts, feelings, desires, and disappointments. The author of the Artist's Way suggests that people who are creatively blocked tend to use reading much like others might use television, movies, drugs, sex, shopping, or any other avoidance behavior to not have to fully face the truth in ourselves. I thought, "I don't read obsessively, that doesn't apply to me". Not so fast...
  • I can gobble up a classic book in just a couple days
  • As soon as I'm done with one book, I'll return it to the shelf and immediately select another in the same breath
  • I've recently started reading multiple books at a time
    • Until yesterday, I was reading The Artist's Way, To Kill A Mockingbird, Before Green Gables, and The Art of Racing in the Rain. 
  • I can easily spend 3 hours a day just reading my favorite bloggers (that's in addition to reading one or more of the books listed above)
  • I was almost in tears, faced with the idea that I wasn't going to be able to read for a full week

Um....obsessive much?

And last week, going through the weekly exercises for The Artist's Way, I was feeling like maybe it has stopped working in my life. Another sure sign that I need further challenge. So, I resigned to the challenge at hand and am less than embracing it for less than a specified amount of time. Translation: I'm trying it but only until I decide to stop. One day down (and a painful day it was), six more to go? Who knew that not reading would be so difficult. 


Chica likes to read too. How can I resist?


All this to say that I won't be reading your blogs and sharing my witty and encouraging comments with you all this week, my lovelies. :( Sad sad sad. It is with a heavy heart. I'll be back soon though. Promise.

BIG NEWS!!!
I have decided to stop writing this blog. I repeat, there will be no more Becoming a Thinner, Sexier Me blog after tomorrow's last LHAS update. I'm not going away for good. I'm just going to retire this page and focus all my attention over at Living Active. Please come follow me over there. I could seriously use the support.
blog comments powered by Disqus